Sunrise Energy has been designed to the highest safety standards, complying with both national and international legislation. The following Safety-in-Design principles have been utilised in the design and construction of the terminal:
- The mounding of the LPG storage bullets to protect against Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapour Explosions (BLEVEs).
- Design and fabrication of the bullets according to the pressure vessel code ASME VIII Div 2.
- Automated Emergency Shutdown System and Fire System, which is automatically activated if a fire is detected. Firefighting systems are design to meet and exceed international National Fire Protection Association standards.
- Automated gas and fire detection systems throughout the plant process areas.
- High-integrity Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS).
- No venting of hydrocarbons, with recovery of all vapours via a vapour recovery system.
- Fully automated bullet transfer sequences and product loading preventing operator error.